In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Florida, Here I Come.

             
Fernadina Beach shells 2017


I haven't been back to Florida, (I mean, really INTO Florida),  since I was a very little girl. I spent a lovely bit of time on Amelia Island/Fernadina Beach last year but didn't venture farther south.


 (Boy, I look like what I picture Atticus Finch's daughter
Scout to look like.)
With my mom, Arlene -  I think in Miami.



                     Apparently, I was the topless shuffle board queen.





          With Dad, Bob.




 One of my favorite photos of my mom as a young girl in Florida. Her family would tow their trailer from Ohio. Here she's hamming it up for the camera - shades of her Broadway/modeling career to come. Their camper was a "Bender" trailer and they called their car "Baby Elephant". My mom learned to drive the Baby Elephant when she was 12 years old (and actually drove it.)


Mom's dad, Lorenz Anderson was the captain of the road ship. He was the postmaster in the small town of Fostoria, OH, and it afforded them enough money during the depression to travel like this each year. Grandpa moved to Florida full time when I was a kid and would visit us in Connecticut in his 1950-something pink Cadillac convertible. Must find a photo!

Following in the footsteps of my ancestors -
Florida, here I come.

Departure date....... sometime after Christmas.

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
  From your email -
Click here to leave a comment at the end of the post on the website! 

or from the website enter comment below.

1 comment: