In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Lost and Found in Tucson

 Tucson, AZ is probably the most amazing juxtaposition that I've ever seen of modern sprawl and primeval mind blowing beauty that keeps you spellbound. It's a rare street that you don't see this kind of scene. The city is surrounded by mountains that change every hour with the light, weather and cloud patterns. This one is at dusk. That might be my favorite time.

The Tucson Mountains, including Wasson Peak, are one of four notable mountain ranges surrounding the Tucson Basin. The Santa Catalina Mountains lie to the northeast, the Rincon Mountains are to the east of Tucson, and the Santa Rita Mountains lie to the south.


A mere three hours drive from El Paso (where I camped at another depressing Motel 6), I was greeted by a couple of dear long-time friends from the east, Lanny and Edward in Tucson. They treated me to a delicious dinner in the chic part of town. It's been so great to catch up with them.





My second attempt at Couchsurfing landed me at the remarkable  home of Joan B. Literally I felt like I had found an oasis of friendship, beauty and hospitality the likes I've never experienced before. It was cold and wet, and her place was warm and full of heart.













The chickens in the backyard are "Choochi TV."





Joan is a mother of six, who was a dairy farmer in Saskatchewan, Canada until about eight years ago. She bought this sweet little bungalow after most of her kids were grown and began a new life here in Tucson. She's is an avid Couchsurfing host and has hosted over 300 people in this home. While I was there, she opened her home to six of us. She's one of the most generous remarkable people I've ever met, and is truly and inspiration of selfless sharing and trust. I hope we remain friends throughout!




There is a large mosaic on her cinder block fence. It says "Friendship" and has been designed and installed by  her friends and Couchsurfing guests.



My car parked on Joan's street and her everchanging moody mountain view.


Choochi is taking in all totally new smells and the cactus gave her a poke.



More shots from around town.

















The last night I was there, Joan invited me to go on a regular Monday evening walk that the town hosts in downtown Tucson where hundreds show up to walk 2, 3 or 4 miles, then gather at local watering holes to socialize. It's a way to get people out on a Monday night and patronizing downtown restaurants. Along the route, some restaurants leave out pitchers of water and cups. You can recognize other participants by the flashing red led lights they give out.  Ingenious! 





They give out t-shirts, caps and other goodies for those who have participated, 10, 50, or 100 or more times in this event. They also give out $25 gift certificates to the local eateries to 10 or so walkers in a raffle drawing. All of this is free.



When I got home I realized that I was missing my favorite scarf that I wear constantly and that I had bought in Spain last September. I was so sad! I just tried to accept it and let it go but I couldn't. So I told Joan I was going to go look for it because I knew where it must have been dropped. But it was busy city street, and had been sitting there for two hours. Chances were slim that it would be there.
But there is was waiting for me to come and get it. HURRAH!!!!!

I came into Tucson on a dreary, wet, cold day. I was road weary and a bit sad. Two days in bleak cinder block motel rooms hadn't helped.  I was feeling lost and had lost touch with my "Self", which I identify as my heart. 

What my wonderful friends, old and new, have shown me is that a place is only as beautiful and as magical as the friendship and open heartedness that you and others bring to it in each moment. Whether you are marveling at the sunset, or the light on the mountains, or you are welcomed into a total strangers home with a warm meal and a soft bed, it's the heart that makes a place home, even for just a few days. To my friends Lanny and Edward and my new friends Joan and Dean, I thank you for your great big hearts and your supreme generosity in the sharing of your abundance.




In case you're interested, Tucson is a very affordable place to live. One bedroom apartments can be found for WELL UNDER  $1000.00 per month depending on the part of town you're in.  And it's a very hip place. And you get these million dollar views no matter where you live.

Next off to Yuma, AZ to visit the nomadic poet, Randy Vining, author of "Forty Years a Nomad" collection of poetry. Then on to the "Rubber Tramp Rendezvous" in Quartzsite AZ to meet Bob Wells who inspired this trip.





8 comments:

  1. El Paso - Tucson - Yuma
    Hi Laura and Choochi, what a trip ! great photos to look at, even better first hand viewing, I'm sure.
    all well here, finally got to lay low over New Years weekend...never left Norwalk, included 8 DVD's from the library to see Nancy and me through the 3 days off work.
    safe travels ! love, George & Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura, Tucson sounds great. You are meeting some beautiful people. It was nice to see you in Florida while camping on our porch. Rock on ! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. More proof how we all just need one another...how strong our human connections are! Being alone is very therapeutic and necessary for knowing who you really are, but connecting to other souls is also necessary, and the folks you're meeting sound lovely, strangers or not. Tucson is one of my fav places, those mountains....!!!
    <3 xx Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics Laura! What a wonderful experience you're having! I look forward to your posts so much so keep 'em coming! They take me out of what is becoming a very mundane existence here at the moment in very dark, grey and rainy weather. You are missed here in Westport though so don't be gone too long. Lots of love - Marian (Benny misses his walks with Choochi!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! We love how extremely happy Choochi looks-- it must be amazing to have something new to smell almost every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Laura - I'm happy you found your beloved scarf! and yes ... home is where the heart is ... with good friends old and new. Happy journeys.
    xx Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, great to see pictures of you and Choochi !
    your photos looks fabulous.
    thanks for sending. all is well at home, we watched Obamas good speech last night. how wonderful to hear him speak in coherent and connected paragraphs !. Well onward we forge. be well, Hugs from me and Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear that you loved Tuscon too. I have great memories of visiting my brother who lived out there for years. It is a hip place, great places to hang out, indoor and outdoor museums. I wanted to move out there but when I came home with the realtor housing listings (very cheap), my husband laughed at me. Maybe one day...
    I love the Monday evening walk idea--great way to get to know the community and get your exercise and try new places to eat. Maybe we can organize a meetup or something where we do hike and hangout with people around here. I like the way the restaurants leave water out. Erl told me that in Tuscon if you are thirsty in the summer you can pretty much knock on anyone's door and they'll give you water. Can't imagine that here but then again it does not get as hot or dry.
    Joan B's house and garden looked so much like brother's. Even the wall murals.

    ReplyDelete