In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, Quartzsite, AZ, Day One

A fiery start to the morning at the Paradise in Yuma.


While I was packing in Yuma to drive to Quartzsite, a young man pulled up and asked me if I wanted some lettuce that he was giving away. This was the biggest head of lettuce I've ever seen in my life.

Heading north to Quartzsite.

Map from Yuma, Arizona to Quartzsite, Arizona
Yuma seems like an oasis to me. I suppose it is, the Colorado river runs through it and irrigates the farmland. The stark contrast between the irrigated and non-irrigated is extreme.






While admiring a particularly beautiful view I noticed this sign. That put a bit of a damper on things. The landscape was stunning on Rt. 95 from Yuma.







Got to Quartzsite which is a winter mecca for RVer's, tens of thousands descend here for a couple of months in the winter. We're here just ahead of the main event which is a gem and RV show. 


Choochi surveys the site of the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous on BLM land which you can camp on for extended periods for free. Apparently there are more people here this year than ever, perhaps a couple of hundred. It's a bit overwhelming to me.  I thought there might be more privacy out here in the desert. Not here anyway.


The sunsets are most always spectacular if it's not overcast.





Randy's rig.







5 comments:

  1. Yay...you have reached your rendezvous goal. Stunning sunset. It is amazing how much sky there is and how much of it we miss by living here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are surrounded by mountains everywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi laura! another wonderful blog installment....I can only imagine how much fun you're having and all the great people you're meeting. I really miss traveling this great country of ours. stay safe...
    mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura--Gorgeous sunsets! What a lot of space and sky!

    ReplyDelete