In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Tale of Two Dreamers





Christmas at the Biltmore Estate, Asheville, NC 2017

I met Pamela Ziemann (or as she likes to be called, "pam ELLE a")  in a Natural Vision Coach Training in Redondo Beach, CA in January 2016. We spent a week trying to shed our glasses with six other people. I found the work compelling because it so closely mirrored what I do to help people move through back pain. So I decided to become a certified vision coach.




She had an enthusiasm and vivaciousness that made me want to sit next to her. One day I said "I think we're birds of a feather" and she nodded in agreement.

I also said to her at the end of the program, "Wouldn't it be cool to be able to hop in my camper vehicle and travel up the coast to visit you in Oregon for a bit after this is done." Again, she nodded in agreement with a wide grin.

 Pamela in "If I Were Me I'd Know What I Want"


Pamela shared that she grew up on a dairy farm and this was the reason she was now a vegan. The suffering of the animals was torture for her as a child but was just the culture that everyone simply accepted in Minnesota. 

She is now a professional speaker and play write and wrote a one woman show called "If I Were Me I'd Know What I Want" in which she tackles the topic of dairy farming, in part, by recalling being forced to try out for the "Dairy Princess" contest on the night she wanted desperately to go see Alice Cooper.







And she's hitting the road.

In a car.

Like me.  At the same time this year. To take her show out there and spread her talent and the important message of how dairy is produced. It's not the Ben and Jerry happy cow story that you wish it were.  She's already performed around the west, in Manhattan and is heading soon to Tucson.

Which is very cool because sooooooo many folks dream of doing this, and she's doing it!

She bought herself and INCREDIBLE Chrysler Pacifica hybrid mini-van that gets (you ready for this?) 85 MPG.... She's used one tank of gas since August. She plugs in at night otherwise. That thing you see in there is her bed and storage.





Pam and I are sharing the sisterhood of small space living and of  cooking in our "Roadpro" luchbox 12 volt cooker (I've begged her to share her cooking experiences as a vegan, most of the videos on Youtube using the Roadpro  are very meat and potatoes).




This is what is very, very fun and cool about this community. We all want each other to succeed and we share our secrets gladly and effortlessly.

Some very funny moments below...... here's Pam ELLE a and "'If I Were Me I'd Know What I Want."



I'm heading to Fernadina Beach/Amelia Island on Dec 29th hopefully to watch the "Shrimp Drop" on New Year's Eve.


LOVE YOU ALL! and thank you for your readership.... and support. 



OH and BTW, Pamela has a sweet little French Bulldog named Ruby who is also going along!



Ruby


AND LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!
If you want to leave a comment, click here and scroll down the page to the comments section at the end of this blog entry.







4 comments:

  1. Love hearing from you! Leave your comments here! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, Laura. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for sharing a blog about your sister traveler. My heart feels light and happy knowing you and I are on the road at the same time for a couple months. Next year we'll have a destination where our paths cross. I love your theme of 'Listening tour' I'm naming my 'Claiming my Cronedom as I turn 60 in April. xoxoxox

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing your adventures Laura and reminding me "there's more than one way to live a life" as Rita Golden Gelman wrote. Stay well, happy, healthy and safe! Jenny

      Delete
  2. Hey Laura! Pamella (Pam-ELLE-a) sent me a link to this delightful blog. You have made me smile on so many occasions. It's great to hear about what you both are up to. The Chrysler (who woulda thought!) Pacifica hybrid mini-van sounds so cool. I also heard first-hand from Eileen in Chicago about Pamella's inspired show. Yayy! Laura happy to see this blog, thanks for being true, glad you are out there doing it. I can still hear ya strumming on that lil' electric guitar. xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete