In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

BUSTED!!! Then REDEEMED.

This is most likely the worst thing that will happen to you if you try to boondock. It sucks, but it's not the worst thing that can happen to you in your life.



I got permission to stay at the Spring Hill Walmart, set up camp, went to sleep.

Then about four hours later, I hear a tapping noise and think I'm dreaming. Then I hear voices and see a light. OH SHIT.

I lay still thinking they might leave me alone.

Then BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG (not a gun, but banging on the car). I'm still not sure who it is but I figure it's the security people.  THEN they start to ROCK the car!! OMG.

Then I peek out the window and see the SHERIFF's car.  and say "I have permission to stay here". They say "From who?" I say "The front desk" and one of the officers says "That's true they let them stay here." "Well the manager wants you out."

Well,  I guess a different manager.

This lot is like the size of a football field BTW. It was about 90% empty.

So he asks where I'm going, what I'm doing, asks for my ID, THEN proceeds to ask me "What are all those pills?" I'm like "Pills?" They guy opened my cargo carrier, riffled through my cooler and found my herbs and vitamins that I have a two month supply for. 

Isn't this illegal? Don't they have to have a search warrant or at least probably cause?

"They're my vitamins."

"Oh ok."

"Well, we'll let you stay the night but you have to be out the first thing in the morning." 


"That's what I was intending officer."


SO, me being not such a great sleeper you can pretty much predict that going back to sleep wasn't probably going to work out.


So the worst thing that could happen to me when I sleep has happened. But it was just when I started to feel relaxed about this whole thing. 

So I decided to look for something else for a bit. And I found an amazing lady named Gretchen in town who hosts Couchsurfers. 

She answered an hour after I posted my request at 11 am said 'common over and stay the night, or two, or a week. And BTW, help yourself to dinner, use the shower and laundry and help yourself to whatever food you find in the fridge. 


This blows my mind.

I can only say I aspire to such generosity and open heartedness.


I've met others like this on the road, Couchsurfing and Boondockers Welcome hosts last year. 


So this is why I love this, I love the discomfort because it makes me have to reach out and interact and meet these people. I HAVE TO. I have to do this, or stay in a stinky motel room and spend the  fun money  I want to use to ride around in the Everglades on a private air boat.

Gretchn is mother to two who both  live there, host of a Japanese foreign exchange high school student and also is allowing someone who is homeless to stay with them until they get their act together. And also invites me to stay. And feeds us all.


Thank you Gretchen, Angel of Travelers.


or









1 comment:

  1. This hasn't happened to me yet, but it probably will one day, and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm glad you've found a kind hearted woman to you out, how wonderful. Have lots of fun with that money, other than food and health, fun is the best way to spend our money in my opinion... :-) LOL

    ReplyDelete