In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Monday, January 8, 2018

Pileated Woodpeckers and a Death Spiral.

One of the prized birding sights in Connecticut is a Pileated Woodpecker usually high up in the canopy scratch around for bugs.

Today, I saw,  not one, but TWO Pileated Woodpeckers right outside the kitchen window in Fernadina Beach/Amelia Island Florida at my friend Mike's house, about six feet off the ground. I do not have a camera with a good zoom, so I did the best I could.

Mike said, "oh they're all over the place" as I ran screaming "oh my God, oh my God" for my camera. He said he thought I was having a heart attack.

I'm sending a still shot and and video because watching them "hunt" was great. The last video I sent of the hawk death spiral did not seem to be linked in email. So I'm going to try resending that also  and hopefully you'll get to enjoy it too! Try below........



PILEATED WOODPECKERS VIDEO



AND 

I saw this amazing thing on the drive down.


Two birds of prey, (I think they were hawks), locked in what is called a "death spiral" which is a courtship ritual. This is not my footage, I found something similar on Youtube.  It happened fast and at a distance heading south on Route 301 east of Baltimore. It was spectacular.


HAWKS IN DEATH SPIRAL

1 comment:

  1. Love hearing from you! Leave your comments below......xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete