In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Solar!

 I've been buying camping and road worthy "stuff" for years, 12 volt fans, folding aluminium tables, (I love stuff that folds). Once I decided to do this, I dragged it all out to see what I had. Been adding to it with gusto. I now own a very cool Renogy Solar Suitcase https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase/

and two ZMaxtanks 75 amp batteries

The solar/battery stuff was the most confusing and intimidating part of this project. So I went for something that was sort of ready made...... solar suitcase has the controller and wiring built in. Just hook it up to a battery and you're good! 

For more info from guys who have been doing it for years, check out Bob Well's  Youtube channel. He's been a great help!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    I'm so happy to be a part of the crew that will be following and supporting your adventure. What exactly will you be doing with the solar panel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott, I'm going to be staying for several weeks (or more) in the desert with some folks who basically live off solar and a few ounces of propane each day. They gather every year to meet and greet and share! Here is a link for that event. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But what does it power? Is it basically something to use for a camper instead of a gas-powered generator?

      Delete
    2. You generally charge closed cell marine batteries, which then power your appliance, or you then can use an inverter on the battery to charge your devices with the AC cord. I have two 75 amp batteries and a 100 watt solar panel. If you're in the desert, the sun will provide a full charge to your batteries no problem.

      Delete