In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Georgia Rest Area No. 105, I-95. Brunswick, GA 31525

To my surprise I've had one of the most relaxing and peaceful days of my trip here several yards from the zooming current of I-95 in Brunswick, GA. 



I pulled over 'cause I had only 3 hours of sleep the night before and took a two hour nap rather than die behind the wheel. When I got up, the air smelled SO GOOD, it was intoxicating. I think I'm realizing I'm an air junkie after the horrible smoke out at Cumberland Island campground, beautiful scene but no air fresh sweet smelling air!! 


So I hung out overnight and woke up to a foggy stew of sea air, grass, flowers and trees. Roses in bloom and some Christmas-y looking berries on a tree right here at Rest Area 105. 




Speaking of stew, and stew history, this was also at the rest stop.




It was in the high 70's yesterday so I broke out the flip flops.



The highway isn't a problem! It's a bit like a never ending song of wind and whine.

The biggest challenge of this challenge of not paying money to sleep is "Where do I sleep? how do I sleep? will someone be mad at me that I'm asleep?". I realized that this was the tyranny and anxiety over the past few days.





After several nights of waking up at 2 or 3 am, and not being able to get back to sleep, I decided, screw it, I'm getting up and driving. 

That's when I discovered that this might be the opportunity to loose the idea of one long sleep in favor of several short ones grabbed here and there. Nobody minds "napping". Usually. Especially during the day just about anywhere.

So this gives me so much more flexibility to explore, to stay, to go, to leave late or arrive early and not be tied to the notion of having to be horizontal for 8 hours straight.

What is also great about rest stops is that you're there to rest, you are invited to rest, and that if you look like your car is stuffed to the gills, you must be an intrepid traveler, not a homeless person. So I stayed overnight despite signs of "No Overnight Parking". OK. Hard to enforce. What is actually "overnight" in a rest stop? 

Discuss.











5 comments:

  1. Looks like you are adapting! Didn't see the little pencil, but maybe clicking on "comments" works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I see a little pencil, but I'll mention that also that you didn't! But I got your post!

      Delete
  2. Brunswick stew sounds interesting
    Choochi looks to be enjoying the travel
    Naps are a good alternative to middle night wake-ups
    This looks like a great novel waiting to be written

    ReplyDelete
  3. merry christmas, laura! love hearing about your adventures! give choochi a snuggle for me, and please wish jed, dave and the kitties a merry christmas for me as well :)

    ReplyDelete