In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Couchsurfing

Estimated time of departure is this Monday, December 5th.......

One of the challenges I've given myself is trying to avoid having to pay to sleep as much as possible. That always is such a huge chunk of travel expense.  And if I have to, I will stay in state parks but those are around $15-$20 per night, not too bad, but I'm going to try to NOT do that. And it's kind of isolating. We'll see.

In any case, my first night is with someone I met on Couchsurfing in Harrisonburg, VA, about halfway to Asheville and right before the Blue Ridge Highway (that I'm looking forward to driving). He's been on Couchsurfing for about four years and has six references on his site. 

Couchsurfing (staying free at someone's house as a guest), from what I'm reading, sort of had it's heyday and is now kind of a weird hook-up site for really young people. There are literally thousands of inactive profiles on there.  However,  there is the real deal on Couchsuring still (active accounts), 

My host is married and in his 60's....his profile says - "Current Mission: to be mindful and appreciative of cosmic abundance  About Me - When not traveling I love my wife as best I can and steward my own back yard, including our community. I enjoy discussing ideas and the means by which I and others may bring them to fruition."

There is risk to all of this. And my preference would be to stay in my car in a driveway rather than a stranger's house, which I will do if I don't feel safe. Or I'll just leave.  But if it's looking cool, it will be nice to have a friendly warm couple to greet me on my first night out. And maybe a real bed. 

Here I go! 

Would love to hear from you if you wish to leave
 a comment click here!




3 comments:

  1. We million already on the road welcome you. "Advance confidently in the direction of your dreams and you will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." (Thoreau)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the wind be at your back friend, you're remarkable! Within you lies an extraordinary quiet radiance, thank you for letting your light loose in the world. xx singingsuebee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel very embraced by both of you! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete