In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Friday, February 7, 2020

ME DOG CAR we're heading out again!


Headin' Out Again

It's been two years since I was last traveling in my little Honda with my dog. I miss it. 


                        St Augustine 2017


Instead of heading south in 2018, I went to Paris with my dog in September (where I got sick and then I got robbed- see the blog if you want to read more)  and was in a really fun musical production when I came back called "I Love You, You're Prefect, Now Change" where I got to play 5 or 6 different characters all with some kind of relationship conundrum. And I got to sing about it. It was AWESOME, perhaps the only and last opportunity of someone my age to do be cast in such a big, challenging and diverse role. GRATEFUL.

Cast of "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" The Wilton Playshop 2018.
I'm 2nd from the right.


Going back to Florida, back to Amelia Island, heading down to Braydenton Beach area to hang out with my brother for a few days. I do love Amelia Island (which locals insist is actually Fernadina Beach, that Amelia Island- which is the same thing- is where the "rich folks" come to play golf), but we'll all intent on wrecking it, I just happened to be there on the cusp of the wreckage. I'm going to try to not add to wrecking it, whatever that means.




Meanwhile, contemplating the trip, I'm incredibly relaxed about this. I've done it all before. I pretty much know the drill. Got all the stuff to do it, just need to haul it out from wherever it's been crammed. I am actually looking forward to my super glam tent on wheels, which is what I call my car. Warm, dry, padded, A/C on demand, AND I have two marine batteries that are in the passenger seat well that I keep charged with my driving for my electronics. And the views are SPECTACULAR.

      Edisto Island, South Carolina, 2017


And the cell phone. Endless entertainment.

And friends. Open hearts waiting to receive my visit.

   Boondocker's Wecome host and good friend Mike from Fernadina


I'm happy that my dog will get to be out of her usual  indoor sleep stupor for a few weeks. 



She is one smart little cookie and I feel so bad sometimes her life is so dull at home. And she LOVES the beach.

   Clinton Beach 2019


And everything else.



No boondocking this time, have a campground and friends. I'm going soft.

But still, will be living in my car for three weeks or so, being outside almost always and last time I was in Florida it was VERY COLD. So I hope I will be able to enjoy at least a couple of tee shirt days.

Edisto Island, SC 2017

I have gotten more into my camera, printing now and doing portraits. I just bought an INCREDIBLE and SUPER SMALL Sony used that's blowing me away. Amazing features, size of a deck of cards.

Here's a recent shot I took, not with the new one but my older Olympus that has a great micro/macro capability. Ice created flower globes. BEAUTIFUL. And I couldn't actually see it until I got it home. THAT's WHAT'S very cool.



Miracles abound every day, in every direction. We just have to keep looking and seeing.

And watching out for snakes.


Please add a comment below if you feel like it!
Love hearing from you.




4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, THANK you for the update..., I have at times wondered whether you were back 'on the road' enjoying the mobile life. I look forward to the anticipated upcoming posts from locations unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what great news, have fun! I'll be looking forward to your blog on the trip. yay!

    ReplyDelete