In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

WEATHERING THE WEATHER, INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL

It's Tuesday and it's pouring. Pouring pouring pouring.And it's going to pour all day tomorrow also.

Image result for rain

But before it was pouring, I was getting crabby and feeling like I had no idea what the hell I was doing all this for. All this driving, all this crazy sleeping in my car, eating out of a cooler, not to mention peeing in a bucket.


Part of the thrill, in a way, of doing this kind of crazy unconventional traveling is getting what you want and not having to pay much for it or commit to anything in particular. It's very spontaneous and the lack of comfort and solidity kind of opens you up to all kind of things. Including your resistance and freak outs. 


So my Amelia Island dream-scape consisted of somehow LIVING on the beach. Now this actually is possible because people are allowed to drive on the beach and well if you're living in your vehicle, then you can theoretically pretty much spend the entire day literally living on he beach.

Image result for driving on the beach fernandina beach


The problem with this is that people get stuck on the beach. And people have gotten run over! And wildlife is disrupted.  There's a lot of controversy about this here's more if you want to read about it.


So that's not a great option.



And otherwise  if you wanted to live on the beach you better have some serious cash.

So I realized on Monday that I most likely would not have my dream come true and was feeling rather sad and grumpy about it.

 The incredible canopy at Ft. Clinch State Park.



I spent the night in the state park which is right next to the beach, in the "river" campground. It's a lovely park with big ancient live oaks. Nice riverside beach but no dogs allowed.



But camping there, as it is with most places now, is just huge RV's with all their grills and TV's and whatnots. I stand out like a sore thumb. A tiny itty-bitty sore thumb. Little teensy car. It's just kinda yuck to me that "camping" has turned into this.


The eternal organized chaos of  my car.

So I decided to bail on the campground and Mike is letting me camp in his backyard. 

But before I left the campground at 7 am, I decided to hit the main beach parking lot and figured out, HEY, I can nab this spot which is literally ON THE BEACH, looking at the water, and just stay here all day! So that's what I did.

My million dollar view.

 And it was FAB!!!

And three spots down, MY PEEPS!!! A van-dwelling-tattooed-surfer remote-tech-worker-from-California was doing the same thing. So I felt right at home.



I got such a great beach buzz being there all day. I could walk, come back "home" and sit in the car watch the birds and be on the computer, or play guitar, or just stay out of the chill for a bit.  And Choochi LOVED it.



A unique moment happened when I went back to my cooler for lunch, took out a piece of chicken, put it on a plate, heard this commotion, saw all these seagulls fighting over what looked like a piece of...... wait a minute.......

that's my chicken.

Image result for seagulls fighting over food

Wow, that was amazingly stealth. I didn't hear it, see it, or feel a huge bird fly right by my head and grab my lunch!

So great day on Monday, Tuesday rain to point of flooding. Hung out and jammed with Bruce the guitar player  (the shirtless Harley rider) who I found out HATES TRUMP!!!! YAY FOR OUR TEAM!!! 

Bruce sez "NEVER TRUMP"

So out of three Harley dudes, one voted for Jill Stein (Bruce)! one voted for Trump, one voted for Hillary. You just never know.

More rain tomorrow.

Then it's gonna be sunny but down in the thirties at night.

Lemme know what you think!

Leave a note here, scroll to the end of the entry at the bottom.












1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post, and the previous one. I'm glad you shared your story with the bikers. Gives me hope that some of the folks I think are Trumpers, aren't. Makes the world a little brighter, and reminds me not to judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete