In the winter of 1990, I spent six weeks traveling in the canyons of Utah and the redwoods of California with a dog, car and oh yeah, a boyfriend. The following year, we bought a small pop up trailer that we towed with a VW Golf and traveled to Ashville NC, Charleston, Okeefanokee Swamp, Edisto Island in Georgia and landed at Mardi Gras in New Orleans just by luck. I was hooked. For the past 25 years I've been wanting to do this again, but one thing or the other made it just not feel like the "right time." So now it is. Me, dog, car. No boyfriend.

Saturday, February 22, 2020

TWENTY-TWO HOURS



Never trust what Google Maps tell you it will take to drive somewhere. Add at least 25%. And when you're even considering that, that maybe 22 hours isn't that much different than 17 hours, well, yes it is. 

My dashboard altar from all of my car journeys, desert and ocean.

However, one of the great things about driving a long long way is that I listen to podcasts and music. TED talks that I would never ever choose to listen to liked "What is a tribologist?"....... it's someone who studies the nature of friction and how to improve the efficiency of things like motors and tires and so on. Well, I would never have chosen that one! 

This American Life is also a mainstay, and so often I wish I could share those incredible stories with others. If you have a chance, listen to "Abdi the American" about an amazing Somali man, who taught himself English from listening to American films, survived the horrific war torn attrocities there, won a lottery to get a green card to come to America and had 90 days to get his papers in order. When you think you're having a rough day, just listen to this. You will kiss the ground you walk on. Isn't this what great radio is about?



Image result for abdi the american

LISTEN TO ABDI the AMERICAN - INCREDIBLE STORY.

I stayed the first night at Laura and Joel's house in Harrisonburg VA, one of my very first forays into "Couchsurfing" and "Boondocking" three years ago. So it was a bit of a reunion. 

Laura and I have kept track of each other through Facebook and she's a very active campaigner worker for Warren. You just have to let your heart be so amazed that folks are so incredibly giving and generous with their homes, their food, their time, and open their hearts to just about anyone who wants to come and stay.

Their home is one of those soulful places filled with the things that they love and give them joy. Their kitchen is a wide open jumble of pantry, pots, smells, and handcrafted cabinetry. 



The porch I sleep on is a three season glass enclosure that is chilly, but magical at night.


This was shot with my amazing new Sony camera. Almost NO light and handheld. I'm in love.

Unfortunately, it appears that the cold snap we got north is also affecting northern Florida. So I'm heading into possibly nights in the thirties sleeping at the campground. I have slept in cold weather int he dessert so I've done it before with double sleeping bags and wearing just about everything I have in the way of hats and coats. Days might warm to 50-60 which is still lovely, but I'll have to wait to get further south for real beachy-ish weather hopefully.


Choochi's twenty-two hour nap.

I tend to loose car keys. This a real problem. I have started to just put ONE key on lanyard that I wear on my wrist. I have to be super conscious of where the key is at all times. Unfortunately, in a stop in North Carolina, I didn't put the key on my wrist and it vanished in the density of the packed car. I beat myself up for miles. I wasn't sure if I'd find it, I thought it's gotta be here. I even went to a Honda dealership off the highway to get another one, but they didn't have a 2001 key and it would have cost my $130.

FOUND IT!!!!!! It's never leaving my wrist again.

SO did have a second key, but then found the other at the bottom of the ocean of boxes and bags. Oh happy day!

After driving for 12 hours, you get sort of giddy and bleary and numb. I decided to stop and stay overnight at a Motel Six only one hour shy of my destination just so that I didn't have to sleep in the car in the cold. 



I was going into my room, and there were five of the most beautiful feral cats I've ever seem in my life, scurrying around hoping for some handouts. A mother who was long haired and her four adolescent kittens. They were each absolutely gorgeous. Calico, orange, black and white and a beautiful tiger.  I put out three handfuls of what was my carefully measured dog food for the three weeks (which I will now be short of) and they all came running


Baby kitty.


Mommy kitty.


My heart always breaks at this kind of thing. They didn't look skinny, so maybe others are feeding them also, but unless they get neutered, it's going to be ongoing and endless. Well, nights are cold here now, but it's better than if they were in the snow.

Egg for calico kitty in the morning.



And PALMETTOS for ME!



See you on Amelia Island/Fernadina Beach!

As always, comment on the website if you like!!
Scroll to the bottom to add a comment.


http://medogcar.blogspot.com/







3 comments:

  1. Hey, Happy Travels. Have you considered keeping a spare key around your neck. I did that for years, I didn't use it, it was just always there. My keys are now always in the ignition, or in the side door outside. I can't lock myself out when they are in the ignition, and I cant drive away if they are in the door lock outside. The only other places they go are in my pocket or directly into my purse if I go shopping. I have locked myself out, but only twice in 15 years. That's not bad. I've just started using Google Maps for things more, but I will never rely on only that, I'll always have a backup map and plan. Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There’s a wildlife preserve next to Venice called Myakka River State Park that we hear is amazing. Check it out on Google maps. Probably a great place for Choochi if we’ve had enough beach time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THat sounds great. Mostly wildlife preserves don't let dogs in but I'll check it out!

      Delete